Permanent Residence in Bulgaria
Permanent Residence by Investment in Government Bonds
In exchange for a safe and state-guaranteed investment of 512,000 EUR to be returned at the end of 1 year-term, applicants from all nationalities can obtain permanent resident permits with only a single visit to Bulgaria (and a modest
10,000 EUR 5,000 EUR processing fee).
Schedule of obtaining Bulgarian Permanent Residency by Investment in Government Bonds
Month 1 – Application for the opening of a bank account with the serving Bank which will purchase and manage the government bonds & preparation of all required documents and formalities for purchasing government bonds for 512,000 €;
Month 2 – Applying for an Investor Visa D;
Month 3 – 4 – Applying for a permanent residence permit by Investment;
Month 4 – 6 – Collection of the permanent residence permit;
Month 6 – 9 – Applying for family reunification and permanent residence for the family members.
The general applicant may decide to invest another 512,000 € in Year 2 and obtain Bulgarian passport by investment .
Permanent residence by prolonged stay
Obtaining temporary residence in Bulgaria and renewing it annually for a period of five years and residing physically in the country for 48 months in the last five years, you are eligible to apply for a permanent residence in Bulgaria. The Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria Act allows foreign nationals to apply for Visa D and Bulgarian temporary residence under more than 20 grounds.
This is the most popular category for obtaining permanent residence in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian residency is implied by the prolonged stay of the applicant under a category of the Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria Act which does not automatically provide ground for permanent stay otherwise.
If the foreign national resides for another five years in Bulgaria after the permanent residency was granted and he is fluent in Bulgarian, the applicant can apply for Bulgarian Citizenship by Naturalization.
Permanent residence by origin
If you have Bulgarian origin and you have obtained a certificate of Bulgarian origin from the State Agency for Bulgarians Abroad, but you have failed your Bulgarian citizenship by origin application because you cannot provide sufficient evidence of your origin or for any other reason, you still may obtain Bulgarian permanent residence.
The residence permit application should be submitted no later than 2 months before the expiration of your Visa D granted on your Bulgarian origin where applying for the first time. Renewal applications should be submitted no later than 3 months before the expiration of the permanent residence permit.
The interesting here is that after residing physically in the country for 48 months in the last five years on permanent residency, you are eligible to apply for a Bulgarian Citizenship by Naturalization. So, even if your Citizenship by origin application failed, you will be able to apply on naturalization ground next time.
Benefits of obtaining Permanent Residence in Bulgaria
- Holders of Bulgarian permanent residency can work in Bulgaria without applying for a work permit.
- The foreign national and all his family members (spouse and minor children) can obtain Permanent Residence in Bulgaria. It is important to note that the permanent residence gives the same rights as Bulgarian citizens, except voting.
- Five years after maintaining the residency entitled you to apply for citizenship of Bulgaria.
- Opportunity to become resident of the European Union. Easy access to EU countries – no visa requirement.
- Holding a permanent residence the foreign national is entitled to enter and leave the country as many times as they wish without visas.
- Free education and medical system throughout EU.
- Lowest taxation in EU and special exemption for immigration through investment applicants.
For more information about obtaining Bulgarian permanent residency, please do not hesitate to contact us.