Art. 12 of the Bulgarian Citizenship Act
Art. 12. A person who is not a Bulgarian citizen can acquire Bulgarian citizenship if by the date of filing the application for naturalisation:
- he has become of age;
- before no less than 5 years has been given permit for permanent stay in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- has not been convicted for premeditated crime of general nature by a Bulgarian court and against him criminal prosecution has not been instituted for such crime, unless rehabilitated;
- (amend, SG 41/01) has income or occupation which enables his support in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- (amend., SG 41/01; amend. – SG 74/09, in force from 15.09.2009) is fluent in Bulgarian language which shall be ascertained according to an Ordinance by the Minister of Education, Youth and Science and
- (New, SG 41/01) who is released from his present citizenship or will be released from it by the moment of acquiring Bulgarian citizenship.